Friday 4 January 2013

How To Manage Your Money!

Money is something that we're always having to deal with, usually the problem is that we never have enough of it. In University/College it is so easy to spend too much and get yourself into debt.

1. Apply for Scholarships
Even if you think there's no chance of you getting it, apply anyways! Even if the scholarship is only for $200, apply! Any money that you don't have to pay is great. If you're in high school, talk to your guidance counselor or student services and see if they can help you find anything.

2. Keep Track of What You Spend
The big problem with students is that we don't really realize how much we're spending until we look at our account balance or get that credit card bill. One of the tricks that I use is that if I know I'm going out shopping, I'll get cash from the bank, and only get as much as I'm willing to spend. That way I can keep track of what I'm spending, and then I know when I'm running low! No one want's to hear that their credit/debit card has been declined!

3. Make a Budget For Yourself
At the beginning of each month or even year, decide how much you can spend each week/month. If you go over one month or week, make sure to make up for it the next time and spend less. If you don't budget yourself, it becomes really easy to spend more than you thought you would!

4. Investigate the Hidden Costs
This one really got me when I went to university in September. I really didn't realize how many more expenses on top of what I paid the school that I would have to pay. Even just little things that you're used to your parents buying, like personal items or toilet paper, it adds up. Not only that, but my Dad was always so shocked at how much I was spending because he really thought that there was nothing on top of my tuition, meal plan, and residence fees that I would have to pay - he definitely didn't account for me trying to have a bit of a social life either. But beware, you'll be shelling out more money than you thought you would - especially for textbooks. I probably spent just under $900 in September, and I've had to buy a few for second semester as well!

5. Eat in the Cafeteria
Take advantage of that meal plan that you're paying thousands of dollars for! It's so easy to get sick of cafeteria food and decide to go out to the local hot spot, or to even just order a pizza. It does add up, so save your money and only go out for a special occasion! Better yet, when it comes to things like Christmas or your Birthday, ask for gift cards to places that you like to go to!

6. Save Up For Things
If you know that you're going to be tempted to buy that new gaming system when it comes out, save up for it! If you know your favourite band will be coming in the future, then save your money now so you have it to buy the ticket later! Instead of buying a bunch of little things that you probably wont lose, save for when you want something big! It's as simple as putting $5 a week away into a jar!

7. Get a Job
It's so easy to say, but as a concept it's hard to do. For me, I decided to not have a job first year university because I knew it would be too much stress. If it's possible for you, and you know you can handle it, then head to the mall with your resume in hand and apply! Don't freak out if you can't get a job right now, there's always summer too!

8. Find Fun Free Things To Do On/Around Campus
In the world now, it seems like it's always costing money to do things! But know that you can have fun for free! Check around campus to see what events are going on, you never know what you'll find! My university sometimes holds open mic nights and it's something fun to watch for an evening! If you have a bus pass, have a bus adventure - you never know what you'll find! Go for a walk and see what your city has to offer when you're not as strapped for cash! Have a movie night with your friends, have everyone bring something to eat or drink. (you can even use your meal plan!) There are so many options, just be creative!


Dealing with money can be hard, especially if this is your first time really managing your money for the first time. It can be even harder if you're paying for university all by yourself (like me!). But don't stress too much, okay? If you're really in a tough situation, then talk to the appropriate channels at school, you never know what help you could get.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment