Monday 11 February 2013

Doing Good For Your Community



I know when you're in school sometimes it's hard to imagine getting all of your work done, and you don't really have the time to think about giving back to your community. But really, there are so many opportunities that are available to you that don't actually take that much time!
In my residence I live in an LLC (Living learning community) and the one that I chose was Leadership and Volunteerism. So pretty much on my floor there's 9 of us in total, we have a peer mentor and each month we participate in an event that enables us to give back to the community.
We've volunteered at an event called Shinerama for Cystic Fibrosis and stood outside for a few hours getting donations, made lunch for the local outreach and support center for teens, and today we donated blood. Unfortunately, I was unable to donate blood because for my height and weight I don't have enough blood - but I really encourage those of you who are able to.

Honestly, donating your time doesn't sound too fun, but there are so many opportunities that you can find. The hard part is finding something you're interested in. Something that I did in high school to get my mandatory volunteer hours was train dogs! You might not be able to find somewhere that you can do that, but I know local animal shelters and human societies are always looking for help.
If you like running, there's always runs and walks that are looking for people to cheer runners on, hand out water and other things.
If you like people, try your local homeless shelter!

Really, your time could make such a difference in someones life - the choice is yours!

2 comments:

  1. I really love your blog but I cant find where to join it...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! What do you mean to join it? If you want to add me to your reading list, then go to your home page of blogger, and then near where it says reading list, cick ADD. Then type in my url :) If you had something else in mind then just send me a message!

      Delete